Second round for TANDEM Community & Participation
This exchange programme supports cultural organisations to set up long-term partnerships with peers across the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and the UK. Applicants actively promote citizen participation and community engagement through arts and culture. Application for the second edition of TANDEM Community & Participation opens on 18 August, 2014 – deadline for application is on 15 October, 2014.
TANDEM Community & Participation started as a pilot programme in 2013, supporting 10 cultural organisations to develop a tailor-made skill-set to deal with the challenges in their rapidly changing context and connect to European communities of practice. The intensive one-year programme included work placements, a collaborative pilot project, peer-to-peer workshops, expert impulses, study visits and networking.
The 4 Tandems from the first edition represented a diverse group of cultural participation projects: from a youth theatre exchange to community engagement through sharing local heritage stories, and from new participatory techniques in pop culture to reinventing traditional village festivities.
Building on the success of this round and of other TANDEM programmes, TANDEM Community & Participation continues for a second edition in 2014-2015.
"I very much feel that the Tandem programme is the first and probably only professional development program I’ve been on that truly supports the programme managers to reflect, fully embed and share learning. Time is incredibly important in our roles as cultural managers, to ensure that our future work is considered and implemented in such a way that it can meet the needs and requirements of our audiences and participants." Sally Lockey, Flo-culture (Gateshead)
How TANDEM Community & Participation works
For one year, the cultural managers engage in a collaborative learning process. During a mutual work placement at their organisations, participants gain insight in each other’s practice. They undertake the planning and implementation of a pilot project and explore the possibilities of merging their methods and experiences into an innovative and multiplicative concept. Next to these exchange visits, the entire group meets several times to share learning on international and cross-border arts management. Throughout the process, participants receive financial and mentoring support from the programme organisers. At the end of the project period, participants present and evaluate their projects and stay connected in the growing Tandem alumni network.
Application for TANDEM Community & Participation
For the upcoming edition, we are looking for organisations that:
- work in the field of cultural participation and community engagement through the arts
- operate at community level to promote citizen participation in local cultural life
- encourage new forms of community arts and amateur arts
- support creative citizenship engagement, talent development and education
- develop creative solutions for a sustainable development of their city or region
Please apply if your organisation is interested in:
- finding European partners to build long-term partnerships
- investing in knowledge exchange on cutting-edge practices and methodologies
- an open and shared learning process to reflect on current challenges and resources
- experimenting with new and innovative approaches
- participating in a growing pan-European network of cultural change makers
Your organisation is eligible if:
- you’re based in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany or United Kingdom
- you have sufficient capacity and experience to engage in a one-year intensive international programme
Selected participants receive reimbursement for travel and accommodation costs and a small start-up grant for their Tandem pilot project. This programme runs until December 2015.
Application for the second edition of TANDEM Community & Participation opens on Monday 18 August with the deadline on Wednesday 15 October, 2014.